Friday, April 20, 2007

Mean Boys????




We know how “mean girls” can destroy the self-esteem of our tween girls. But what about “mean boys?” Here’s a story from a 12-year-old girl from Wisconsin – could this girl be someone you know? “So I was in science today… and I was by my friends. There was a boy sitting by them...like one of the "popular" boys...and he was doing a worksheet on genes. he had to check his pulse rate for one. he tested it for 5 seconds and said he had 6 beats. I tested my for 5 seconds and i had like 9 or 10. and i said that outloud. and this is what he said to me..."That's because you had body fat and it takes more energy to pump your blood." he said it in one of those "thinks he's funny voices." I'm like..."I'm not fat!" Then my friend...MY FRIEND...was laughing but saying that's not funny and that's not nice...but still she was laughing. the other girls were not laughing and telling him that that was mean. I'm not kidding...I almost started crying...I just wanted to run into the bathroom. I've never been called fat before and i just felt sick and bad. so now just a few hours after i'm like watching what i eat and i don't know what to do...see I'm in perfect shape. I'm a dancer and very active....i just can't keep my mind off of him saying that. what should I do?"
Posted by Denise Restauri

No comments: