Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Kid Nation

You’re a parent and you see this casting call for a new reality TV show:
  • Need 40 kids. Girls and boys. Ages 8-15.
  • Mission: Bring a ghost town back to life.
  • Child’s Pay for performing tasks YOU wouldn’t want to do: $5,000.
  • No parents, no teachers. Anywhere.
  • In fact, kids can’t even talk to parents on the phone for 40 days.
  • But don’t worry about missing out on those 40 days with your child because you’ll get to see how happy or sad your child was – along with millions of other people - because they’ll be filmed in front of reality TV cameras. You’ll get to see them crying and saying, “I want to come home!” You’ll get to see them being humiliated and stressed. Maybe you’ll even get to see them saying, “Mommy, why did you let me do this?”

What are the first things that come to your mind? My first thoughts were questions:

Q: Is this Lord of the Flies meets reality TV? Who would air this?
A: It’s a new CBS reality show called Kid Nation.

Q: What do shows like this say to our tween and young teen girls?
A: I'll ask the AllyKatzz girls when it airs in September. I think their initial reaction based just on what they see on the show (not based on child abuse claims, etc) will be that it's cool because the stars are kids, just like them... AND they'll see the power of kids... the power to change the world. That's what they want to do ... change the world or at least be heard.

Q: Would I let my daughter do this?
A: No Way!

Q: What are these parents thinking?
A: I don't know. I think we should ask them and find out vs. speculating. Be good for morning TV.

Q: Do we need to give our children better ways to be heard, seen and change the world?
A: Yes.

Posted by Denise Restauri

No comments: